I currently only take MVA and PIP which is related to auto insurance policies. This typically means, NO COST TO YOU. Treatments are covered the car insurance company (i.e State Farm, Geico, Aflac, etc).

For VA, veteran affairs inquiries; unfortunately TRICARE does not cover massage or acupuncture.

What is an MVA? What is PIP?

  • Motor Vehicle Accident also known as a automobile accident or just a car accident

  • Personal Injury Protection

I have heard of people getting massage or acupuncture after a car accident. Can I receive massage or acupuncture after a car accident?

  • Yes. If you have car insurance and have been in an accident, you have access to traditional and alternative healthcare. Car insurance typically covers chiropractic, massage, acupuncture and physical therapy related to your injury.  A physician's referral my be needed.  You may be covered for upwards of 30 visits (1 hour massages/acupuncture) per calendar year.

Will filing a claim increase my deductible or auto insurance policy?

  • No. Motor vehicle/auto insurances policies have multiple categories of coverage. Listed below are two terms to familiarize yourself with that pertain to getting health care when you become injured in an MVA:

  • Liability (bodily injury and property damage for each person and each “accident”) covers the people injured by you when you are at fault. Under Hawai’i statute section 431:10C-301, you must carry both personal injury protection ("PIP") coverage of at least $10,000 and liability insurance in at least the following amounts $20,000 per person, per accident/$40,000 per accident in personal injury and $10,000 in property damage.

  • Personal Injury Protection (PIP).  This covers YOU, your relatives and residents in your household and those persons in your vehicle that were injured in the accident with you. This is where your medical attention costs will be paid from.  In Hawai’i, the standard minimum is $15,000. 

How is massage therapy (or acupuncture) paid for after an MVA injury? Will I be responsible?

  • Initially, you must seek medical care for your injuries and have this documented by a physician. Next, notify your motor vehicle insurance carrier of what has happened.  It is at this time that they should be opening up a PIP claim for you. You may receive further paperwork for the PIP claim in the mail or electronically via email from your insurance provider.

  • Next, request a massage therapy referral from any of the physicians you are treated by; i.e emergency room MD, family MD or (PCP) primary care provider and Chiropractic Dr (DC). They will be happy to provide this for you.  They know you are injured and in pain!

  • Lastly, contact/call me at 808.989.1003. I am a dually licensed acupuncturist and massage therapist in the State of Hawai’i. I specialize in pain management and MVA injuries and can help you get well. I have experience filing MVA claims and can assist you. I will verify your insurance coverage before our first visit. It may take up to 30 days to receive payment. You will not be responsible for any service fees. Office cancellation policies still apply.

What information do I need to provide/submit?

  • Please submit the following via email prior to your appointment. Send to:

  • insurance company/carrier name

  • adjuster’s name and phone number

  • your DOB and address

  • policy number and claim number

  • date of accident

  • physician’s referral or prescription aka “script” (it’s not always necessary, just helpful)

Who will follow up with my claim and paperwork?

  • I will take care of all other required paperwork for billing purposes with your insurance company.  All claims will be submitted on the date of service. If a claim is denied, I ask that you agree to submit payment for services rendered. I will always verify your coverage before we start treatment, so that you do not have to worry about the expense.  I want you to focus on your recovery.

What kind of experience do you have with auto accidents?

  • I often see patients with whiplash, other neck pain, shoulder pain, hip pain, back pain, numbness and weakness, often cause by collision and injury from airbags and seatbelts. The quality of pain can be sharp, nagging, dull, achey, ongoing, or off and on for a few weeks, months, and sometimes longer. If we can treat early on, massage and acupuncture are a great way to manage pain or discomfort. It is important to treat the trauma and inflammation while acute or before it becomes restrictive and develops into a more chronic pain pattern.

With Aloha,

Amy Hastanan, L.Ac, LMT

LAC #1207

LMT #12819

NPI #1467819003